May 18, 2008

Sunday.....floody Sunday


I recently had a girlfriend say to me as we pondered the challenges of raising sons, "every mother should be required to have at least one boy". I couldn't agree more. Don't get me wrong here....I adore boys!!! Its just that until you have had one living in your (once clean) house, you really can't begin to imagine how much mischief they can get themselves into. Today was one of those days....

After an enjoyable afternoon of being outside, I was up in my room finishing up my shower/hair drying routine when both my boys came bursting through the door shouting "emergency, emergency Mom! Hurry! You flooded the basement!" I threw down the hair dryer and ran after them. As we ran, my mind was whirling  thinking "I flooded the basement??? Me???" I had, just 30 minutes prior, been out by the pool using the hose but couldn't imagine how I could have caused a flood. Surprisingly, the boys took me out the front door...hmmmmm.......to the hose I had not been using. Sure enough, when we got there I could plainly see that we had a BIG problem. There gathered around the window well, which was full to the top with water, were 4 little boys armed with sponge Bob sippy cups, trying to bail out the 18 or so gallons. As I quickly took it all in, I noticed the squirt guns all over the yard and the rumpled (not nicely rolled) hose. (I flooded the basement????) Through the window I could see the shimmering of the water floating on top of the carpet. Clearly.... the 'flooder' was one of my boys. (Although I really appreciated them trying to blame me!) I had a little hissy fit in the yard which I think all of the neighborhood kids really enjoyed and then grabbed a bucket and started bailing.
The remainder of my beautiful, sunny Sunday was spend sucking up water out of the basement. We managed to fill up the shop vac twice. Yes, twice. (I think it holds 20 gallons). 
As I sit here tonight, the fans are running and its only a matter of time before the entire house smells like mildew and urine. I think the heat will really be a nice catalyst to the spread of the odor. Not to worry.....I did, after the drama had passed, get forgiveness from my son (who had eventually admitted that he was the one playing with the hose) for my 'mommie dearest' moment and reassure him that I love him to the moon. ...... And I do!

5 comments:

McMurrays said...

Maybe the most entertaining blog I have ever read. You are a great writer. . . I feel like I am there with you! So sorry to hear about the basement what a PAIN! I agree every parent needs at least one boy in the house. I feel sorry for the next family who lives in our house it is TRASHED from 5 years of twin boys!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am so glad you started a blog I will look forward to my daily laugh.
Darcy

Amy Byrd said...

Stephan & I have been laughing hysterically at your comments. I can hear you saying all this, as if we were having a conversation. I am so thrilled you have this, as it is sure to bring laughs on a regular basis. Love the Wal-mart & flood stories! I am also so proud you have taken this big step & become a blogger. It's an addiction..watch out!

Anonymous said...

WoW, supposedly "girls just wanna have fun," but clearly your boys are taking it to the next level!!! What a great way to chronicle the "days of your lives"...maybe it might not be such a great idea as they get older, though, depending on if the fun is still legal!!! Becky

Joey Veltkamp said...

i have a confession -- i flooded your basement! :(

kcreasey said...

i flooded my own basement once. it was right after i had lily and i was soaking clothes in my brand new utility sink in my laundry room. while the sink was filling with water (to soak the clothes), i decided to start a load of laundry. the only thing that i can figure is that i couldn't hear the water in the sink running because of the even louder water running in the washing machine. my brain being unplugged probably had something to do with it too...so i turned and left the laundry room, with the water running in both the washing machine and the sink...oops! the kids came and told me probably 45 min. later when 2/3 of the basement was flooded. cool huh?