Apr 8, 2009

Dr. Phil....here we come!

I am not a very good mother.
 
Although I DO try....I really do. Seriously.

But the fact remains.....I will never win 'mother of the year'. Not even close.

In fact, I am sure that someday you will all watch my children appear on an episode of Dr. Phil....disclosing truths about me like how when they were babies, I'd give them a lemon to suck on.....just because it was funny to watch. Or maybe how I accidentally left one of them in a playland because I forgot that I had checked him in there......or how I one time popped my son in the mouth at tj maxx, causing a SEVERE nose bleed and then pretended( on my way out the door) the he had fallen down and bumped it so that nobody would call CPS on me. There was that time when I locked 2 of them in the running car (heat blasting) with a bag of popcorn (choking hazard...I know!) and had to call the fire department to get them out.

The list is long my friends......

.....and this past weekend was no exception. 

I allowed (or maybe encouraged) my boys (ages 10 and 5) to sign up to go pondskimming at schweitzer.  The videos above say it all. Keep in mind that this 'pond' has actual snow floating in it because it is so cold that it wont even melt....
Keep in mind also, that when you fall.... your skis/snowboard will likely still be attached to your feet which is (of course) not good for swimming.....

especially when you are 5......

and especially if you don't ski that well and still have to wear an 'edgie-wedgie' on the tips of your skis......
and especially if your mom (who can be seen at the edge of the pond in Kellen's video) does not jump in to help you out of the water because she doesn't want to ruin her Ugg boots.

I'm pretty sure people in the crowd were wondering what idiot parent would let their small child participate in an event like this. I'm pretty sure about this because I have wondered the same thing about myself after watching the videos.

Both boys, I am happy to report, survived this event with no permanent damage done. No head injury, no drowning, no frostbite or hypothermia......

See you in a few years Dr. Phil!!!!









9 comments:

Kelli Rydeen and Family said...

Hilarious! What little studs you have. Love the UGGs by the way.

Kelli

blended by grace said...

I love that your boys went for it! Seriously, I think you're a good mom for encouraging them to do it, and, dang, those UGG boots are cute
!!!

jessithompson said...

Let's be real...no one ever likes those kids who never had any real experiences in life and were completely sheltered for their whole lives. You're just assuring that they're 'well-rounded' and have some good stories to tell around the campfire. Love it!

Big people, Little world said...

Colleen...OH MY HECK!!! I love you, it's not like I don't have stories with our four boys. Like Shane hitting a battery open to see what's inside and getting acid in his eyes! Like Uncle Dan letting Shane go too early on his two wheeler and we all gasp as he hits Kermits truck head on...oh ya, let's not forget our 25th wedding Anniversary in Hawaii and Trevor on the "moped" which later I discoverd should have been a scooter...OH ya we know about lifeflight and ambulance rides and became quite renowned at the ER here in town! Like one of your friends mentioned, life experiences if we live to share them make memories! Love you ever so much, Aunt Terri
PS YOU ARE THE BEST MOTHER

Amy Byrd said...

We have now watched Keaton & Kellan's videos enough to last me till their next pondskimming competition. Ravenna & Hudson constantly ask to see them. I made the mistake of showing them, in hopes to encourage them into entering next year. Glad to hear your Ugg's survived & thanks for sharing.....as always I love it. Keep me posted when your Dr. Phil episode airs.

McMurrays said...

Love it when there is a new Colleen post! It brings joy to my day! You totally crack me up! Thanks for making me smile! Loved seeing you at the hospital. .so sweet of you to stop by! Can't wait to show the boys the videos.
Darcy

Laura and company said...

What's so dang funny about this is that Kellen doesn't even get a little bit of air...just down, down, down, and then plop! You must keep video of your kids doing this each year, then eventually splice them all together so we can see Kellen go from from plop to clearing the entire thing. Thanks for sharing!

Laura and company said...

What's so dang funny about this is that Kellen doesn't even get a little bit of air...just down, down, down, and then plop! You must keep video of your kids doing this each year, then eventually splice them all together so we can see Kellen go from from plop to clearing the entire thing. Thanks for sharing!

Kim said...

This is priceless! Pond skimming for kids? Perfect!! I too have locked my keys in the car...with my son screaming inside until AAA arrived.